Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

R.I.P. – Fire, a dog 1993-2008

A good dog, with a long goofy name, “Private Stoc’s Fire Dancer”, bestowed by Pam, the very nice and responsible breeder.  Her sister is “Private Stoc’s Red Skye at Morning”, but they just got called Fire and Skye.  Occasionally, rarely, they’d both be named Dammit!

A natural herder, she’d go from room to room trying to get everyone together so she could keep an eye on them.  I’m guessing that, to her, we were particularly clever sheep with the keys to the food cabinet.  She convinced the neighborhood cats that hunting our ducks was a bad, bad idea.

She didn’t like it, but you could balance a french fry on her nose until she got permission to eat it.  She didn’t like cats, but never, ever, not even once was aggressive toward any other animals, including our flock of Indian Runner ducks.  Given that she was almost 18 months old when she came to live with us, it’s pretty amazing that she didn’t view them as prey.  She acted as though they were her babies, and the same with parrots, cockatiels, sugar gliders, rabbits, and very small children.

It goes with saying that I hate cancer.  It killed my dad, went after my mom, got me, and has killed at least one rabbit and one koi.  Then it got Fire.  She developed some kind of brain cancer that manifested itself as a bump on the head, and when the vet opened it up to see what it was, it was clear that she was not long for this world.

 

She hated getting her feet wet, or any kind of messiness.  More like a cat than a dog.

IMG_2782

 

Make the rabbit stop touching me.”

IMG_2679

 

Just because I am their guardian does not mean I have to like them

IMG_2691

 

Shepherds obey better than any dogs I’ve ever known. They weren’t allowed inside until they were standing politely.IMG_3123

 

This sums it up, the twin kami Goofball and Cautious Concern.

IMG_1392

 

The black sofa eventually developed a dog-shaped depression.

IMG_2522

 

She took her guard duties very seriously, and was very happy when at some point we put a folded futon next to the window.

IMG_2846

 

DSC01127

 

The wet, inside-out ear means they’ve just finished a comprehensive and mutual ear-cleaning session.

_DSC0013

 

This look actually meant, “I’m reasonably sure that your sandwich will prove to be too large for you.

_DSC0173

 

Good bye, good dog.

6 comments:

somenotesonliving said...

it me pptg, just here to say - what wonderful pictures and i am so very sorry for your loss. She has a very good loving companion in you.

- smaltzy virtual hugs to you lynn.

sandy shoes said...

Good, sweet, beautiful dog. I love that she hated being messy.

I'm sorry :(.

Otenth Paderborn said...

Ah, Lynne, I'm so sorry. A long life, and obviously very much loved. What a lucky dog to have been in your life. And what a lucky human to have had her in yours.

My condolences.

Thor said...

Fire was such a good puppy. I miss her...

---Thor

Darya said...

We had a beautiful Black-Tri Aussie named Jack; there were things well below him, too that he tolerated with an air of damaged nobility.
These guys are beautiful. My heart is full and breaks at the same time; why is life so random and unfair?
Thanks for sharing fire with us, I feel like I knew him and regret I didn't..
xoxo Darya

Tanarian Brenaur ferch Owain fab Bran (Davies) said...

I am so sorry to read this, especially as belatedly as I do. A friend of mine just had her 9-year-old diagnosed, and as I have a white boxer, I realized shortly after I got him that there was an excellent chance that genetics would not allow me to have him for as long as I should.

She was a beautiful dog with a good life and a loving memory we can share in now.

My sympathies and thanks,

Tanarian Davies